View Profile Kajenx

All 99 Art Reviews

29 w/ Responses

Beautiful! :)

You never post anything bad. :)

"The objective of the game is to rescue ailing minds from beneath the lids of their eyes by diving into the mental fabric of the mind and using a vast arsenal of weaponry specifically forged to cut out the contagious mental demons that grow there."

Game sounds like fire!

The background, shading, and drawing structure could use work. The linework and color is great though.

Haha, j/k, it's all good. :P

I like the colors in this one. :)

Nyogosz responds:

High blessing upon you!

I love the Art Nouveau look. :)

AkiCarlito responds:

haha thanks man!!

Wait, are your paintings traditional materials? You do a really nice job with the colors.

This is very nice, but please take off that filter that separates the magenta/cyan and makes it blurry. It wrecks your beautiful art! It actually hurts my eyes to look at her face.

Shilozart responds:

I love that effect, but i think you're right, it doesn't work very well here :)) haha
Thank you!

This is pretty great! What program do you use?

jagondudo responds:

hey thanks!
zbrush to model the big organic shapes and characters, setup and textured in c4d and final composite and effects in photoshop

The key to skin tone (or any translucent material) is to add a saturated color to the transition between the shadow and the light part. When an object is very hard and has no light traveling through it, the shadow and the light are essentially the same color. When light enters into a translucent object, though, the light will travel into the shadow at different wavelengths and this creates a thin zone of bright color at the transition. It's called "subsurface scattering."

Look at the border of the shadow on this picture: http://goo.gl/mtsTv5

See how it looks like there's a red outline? You can actually do this very easily just by tracing around all the shadows in your picture with a bright red, then blurring it out and turning down the alpha until it looks nice. You can also add a bit more red to longer tapering shadows, simulating the light traveling through the skin at different wavelengths. This also works for marble, wax, milk, and any other material where light penetrates into the surface and bounces back out. Blue and green work well for marble, and yellow can be nice for wax. Just depends on the material.

I did a quick example on your painting here: http://imgur.com/w7MVhFU (If you don't mind me drawing over your art, haha. I like your painting how it is now, so this isn't necessary, just an example.)

Also, when painting strokes, if you follow the form of the face you don't have to spend much time blending later, since the texture of the brushstrokes enhances the form and doesn't have to be completely obliterated. You can also save time by forcing yourself not to use any (less than 90%) transparency in your brush until the picture is around 70-80% done. This chopped off huge amounts of time from my process.

This picture looks very nice to me though. The advice is just to help speed things up for you and get the look you want.

Lucas Paakh @Kajenx